The Opening Hours is proud to present a series of interviews with the contributing artists in chapter 3 of Go Font Ur Self*. The exhibition “dedicated to exploring and pushing the diverse range of techniques employed in type design of past, present and future through original pieces of work from talented typographers worldwide.”
To kick things off, we’ve decided to go with one of the few Sydney locals. Jumbo!
1. Describe yourself with one word
2. Describe your typography.
i like to cut and shape my lettering by hand so that it has a few uneven curves that give it a personality..I like a bit of rough edge.
3. Do you adhere to the rules and regulations of typography, or make up your own?
im aware of the scale when i make a letter so that it doesnt stray too far from the fit of the font, but rules are bendable as much as the letter.
4. What artists / typographers have influenced you in your recent work.
5. What is the most acclaimed project you have worked on?
nothing major in the area of typography
6. what is it about typography that you love?
it would have to be the personality of a hand drawn letterstyle . . .thats a buzz for me.
7. What is your favourite letter and why?
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ look at it . . what a geometric beauty!!!
8. serif or san serif ?
9. what can we expect to see soon from you? Other projects, shows, etc.
Im doing a show at May Lane in St Peters at the end of October with long time collaborator ZAP.
Go Font Ur Self* opens next Thursday (15th) night at Peer Gallery, 153 Bridge Rd Glebe. 6pm.